AirPods headphones can get dirty over time depending on use. Headphones can also suffer from contamination.
Apple states that you should not clean AirPods and AirPods Pro underwater. The company recommends cleaning the headphones with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
How to clean AirPods and AirPods Pro?
- If your AirPods or AirPods Pro are exposed to substances that may cause smudges or other damage.
- Wipe the product clean with a cloth lightly dampened with clean water and dry it with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Let it dry completely before placing it in the charging case.
- Do not try to use it until it is completely dry.
- Make sure that no liquids enter the openings.
- Clean the microphone and speaker covers with a dry cotton swab.
- Do not use sharp objects or abrasive materials to clean your AirPods or AirPods Pro.
Cleaning the Charging Case of the AirPods
- Clean the charging case with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. If necessary, you can slightly wet the cloth with isopropyl alcohol. Wait for the charging case to dry. Make sure that no liquid enters the charging ports.
- Remove any debris from the Lightning connector using a clean, dry, soft brush.
- Do not use abrasive materials to clean the charging case.
- Do not insert anything into the charging ports to avoid damaging the metal contacts.
Cleaning the Ear Tips of the AirPods Pro
- If water has accumulated on the ear tip, tap the AirPod with the ear tip opening down on a soft, dry, lint-free cloth to remove the water.
- Pull the ear tip off each AirPod and rinse with water. Do not use soap or other household cleaning products.
- Wipe the ear tips with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. Make sure the ear tips are completely dry before reattaching them to the AirPods.
- Plug the ear tips back into the AirPods. The shape of the ear tips is oval. So be sure to align the ends before putting them back on.
Cleaning the Cushions and Headband of Your AirPods Max
- Mix 1 teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent with 1 glass (250 ml) of water in a clean bowl.
- Remove the cushions from the earmuffs.
- When cleaning the headband, hold your AirPods Max upside down to prevent liquid from flowing into the headband port.
- Soak a lint-free cloth in the soapy water solution and gently wring out the water from the cloth. Then wipe each pillow and headband with the cloth for one minute.
- Wipe the cushions and headband with a separate cloth lightly dampened with clean water.
- Make sure to remove excess moisture by drying the pillows and headband with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Lay your AirPods Max flat for at least a day to dry before reattaching the cushions and using them.